Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Alamo was like Custer's Waterloo

Glenn Beck's grasp of history is as weak as his grasp of reality in general. Steve Benen says pretty much everything I have to say on Beck's latest display of historical ignorance, so I'll just quote him.
Earlier this week, after nearly breaking down in tears (again), Glenn Beck told his television audience that they're not alone: "It's you and me and the Fox News Channel -- the Alamo for truth."

If this sounds familiar, it's because Roger Ailes, Fox News' chief executive, told Glenn Beck in January that he wanted to bolster the Republican network's opposition to the Democratic administration. "I see this as the Alamo," Ailes said, according to Beck. "If I just had somebody who was willing to sit on the other side of the camera until the last shot is fired, we'd be fine."

Um, guys? As I recall, the Alamo didn't turn out too well. Most of the Americans who fought in the battle were killed.

If Fox News is "the Alamo for truth," doesn't that mean it's the place where the truth gets killed?
The only thing I can add is, it wasn't "most of the Americans" who were killed, it was all of them. If that's the position where Beck sees Fox and himself, I can only hope he's right.

No comments: