Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why I'm growing to hate the SOTU
It actually has nothing to do with the person currently giving it or what a pointless exercise in spin that it is by nature. No, I'm growing to hate it because of bad personal associations.

Five years ago, when this guy was being inaugurated and there was no SOTU, I was in the hospital where my mother, who had just had a pulmonary embolism, was recovering. The embolism was probably an early symptom of the cancer that has dominated the last four years of her life. At the time we thought it was just a bad break and that it was something we would soon get over, much like the guy being sworn in as president. Both turned out to be far worse than I could have believed credible to fear at the time. Once is just bad luck, twice is a nasty coincidence, and three times is a pattern. I said associations--plural--and I am indeed up to two on this day. Two hours ago, I was laid off from my job.

Does anybody know of any jobs in the Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, or Redmond area for an over-educated, but flexible, person with experience as a tech writer, all purpose lackey, teacher, bureaucrat, retail clerk, blah, blah blah? I'm smart, loveable, cute--in a fuzzy and muppety way--full of interesting trivia, loyal to a fault, able to write my way out of a paper bag, creative, and devoted to all the right causes.

No comments: