Sunday, December 11, 2005

Catching up on my responsibilities
I've been falling behind on some of my duties around here. Let's see what we can fix today.

We have a host for the next Carnival of Bad History. As we were rapidly approaching to the date for the winter CoBH and still lacked a host I was debating whether to give up on the whole carnival idea or resign myself to permanent hosthood. I was actually in the process of writing a post on the subject when I got a note from Coturnix saying that he had located a host volunteer. The Neural Gourmet has stepped up to the plate to, uh, punt a basket, or whatever it is you do at the plate--I never was very good at the sports metaphor thing. The next CoBH will be held on December 22. That means you have lots of time to write a post, post a post, and submit said post to The Neural Gourmet for inclusion. Have a myth you want to bust? Heard someone say something astonishingly ahistorical? Discovered a great conspiracy theory? Just want to review a bad movie? If it has anything to do with history, this is your chance.

I'll be working on the blogroll this afternoon. Not only do I need to add a few new sites and changes of address, I seem to have inadvertently deleted a few people that I shouldn't have. This is one of the reasons I keep a few back-up files of old versions of the blog template. I never know when I'm going to need to dig up some lost data.

Lately, I've been getting a little burned out on the outrage du jour style of blogging. You know the style. Every morning I look at the news and see that someone, somewhere has said something so offensively stupid that it demands a response. Most days I don't have to go further than the Fox pundits and their defense in the Global War on Christmas (GWOC). Outrage will only carry me so far. As the patron cockroach wrote, "expression is the need of my soul." I can't live by bread alone, I crave a little toast, preferably with a piece of cheese melted onto it. In writing terms, that will mean I'm going to add a few wooly mammoths to our diet of Gibsons, Limbaughs, and O'Reillys.

And it looks like it's been a few days since I last insulted Bill O'Reilly and his silly crusade to save Christmas, so "O'Reilly is a poopy-head!! Christmas delenda est."

No comments: