Friday, May 26, 2006

Most criminal recipe of all time
Every Saturday that we are at home, Clever Wife and I have grilled steaks, a bottle of red wine, and a movie. I just went to check out my old AOL e-mail account and saw that one of their top features was a set of grilled steak recipes from major cooking magazines. Naturally, I thought I should check it out to see if I could get any ideas to spice up our routine without disturbing our tradition. What I found was possibly the most embarassingly lame excuse for a recipe that I have ever seen.
Grilled New York Steaks

Prep: 5 min., Grill: 20 min. To keep costs down, we opted to buy thick-cut New York strips steaks and cut them in half to mimic the look of the more expensive filet mignons (which run about $17 per pound). Expect to pay about $10 per pound for the strip steaks, or about $40 for 8 (8-ounce) servings.

4 (1 1/2-inch-thick) New York strip steaks, cut in half
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs

Sprinkle steaks evenly on both sides with salt and pepper.

Grill steaks, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 8 to 10 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Garnish, if desired.

Let's be clear here, this recipe for grilled steak, which was published in Southern Living, a national magazine, reads: "take steak, add salt and pepper, grill till done, add toppings if desired." Someone was paid to write this!!! The author is George Liapis of Hoover, AL. I'm not sure whether to hate him or worship him.

Next week, my recipe for fried SPAM. But, you'll have to pay to see it.

No comments: