Wal-Mart Stores Inc. on Thursday said it no longer employs a worker who wrote to a shopper that Christmas is a mix of world religions, but that the company does support the generic greeting, "Happy Holidays," as being more inclusive amid year-end celebrations by numerous faiths.
The Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights criticized the world's largest retailer and called for a boycott over Wal-Mart's approach to Christmas.
"We want a) an apology for insulting Christians by effectively banning Christmas and b) a withdrawal of its insane statement regarding the origins of Christmas and c) a revision on its website," Catholic League President Bill Donohue said on the group's Web site.
There are plenty of good reasons to boycott Wal-Mart. This is not one of them.
Bill Donohue is not a mainstream Catholic spokesman. He is a bigoted loon. He is a regular guest on Scarborough Country, where he rants about gays and Hollywood as the source of all evil in America. Here are some of his greatest hits from Scarborough Country:
- April 11, 2005 - On the appearance of new deadlier strain of AIDS, he said, "The gay community has yet to apologize to straight people for all the damage that they have done -- for contaminating the blood supply in New York City and around the country. And I find it amazing that, when people are acting so morally delinquent, that they're asking for more rights at the same time."
- January 6, 2005 - After placing the book of Job in the New Testamennt (it's not), he said of the Indonesian tsunami, "I think we have to look at this in a positive sense. In one strange sense, then, what's happening to these poor Asian people is their gift to the world. It makes us think about our mortality and about salvation and about redemption. That's what we should be thinking about."
- December 8, 2004 - "Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular. It's not a secret, okay? And I'm not afraid to say it. ... Hollywood likes anal sex."
- December 14, 2004 - "This same guy [Dean Hamer] came up with this idea of the gay gene. I remember when that conversation was going on. Gays were all of a sudden worrying if people would start aborting kids when they found out the DNA suggested the kid might be gay or God forbid, we'd run out of little gay kids, so all of a sudden, they became pro-life."
- On the October 21, 2004 edition of MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews, ...Donohue falsely claimed: "The pope [John Paul II] has never declared this [Iraq] war to be an unjust war." Yet, prior to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, a Vatican envoy "carried the pope's message to the White House that a U.S.-led war against Iraq without United Nations' approval would be 'unjust and illegal,'"
This guy is a perfect ally for Gibson, Hannity, and O'Reilly in their struggle to save Christmas.