Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Kinky for Governor
My favorite Texan (besides Molly Ivins) is officially a candidate for governor of the second largest state. Singer, song writer, novelist, cat lover, and bon vivant Kinky Friedman is officially throwing his hat into the ring.

Here's a platform we can all support.
"I have achieved a lot of my dreams in life and I want to see that young Texans achieve some of theirs,' Friedman said in a telephone interview. He added, "I want to be governor because I need the closet space."

Friedman said the main priorities in his campaign will be reforming the Texas education system, adding safeguards in the judicial process where Texas ranks as the nation's leader in capital punishment and establishing a peace corps for the state.

Plus, he wants "to fight the wussification of Texas."

"I am determined to get back to a time when the cowboys all sang and their horses were smart," Friedman said.

[...]

Friedman has said he expects his campaign to be unconventional, irreverent and star-studded. He knows it will be tough to win in the heavily Republican state, but he thinks he can win votes from people fed up with bland politicians.

"We hope the people of Texas are going to reject the choice of paper or plastic," he said.

Disclosure: My clever wife and I are long time fans of the Kinkster.

No comments: