Tuesday, July 06, 2004

It’s Edwards…
…and Kerry announced it in Pittsburg, right in the center of the rust belt. The venue is as important to me as the choice itself. Edwards connects well with unions and with anger over the economy. Sure, it’s nice to have a Southerner on board to keep that wing of the party from completely atrophying, but this isn’t going to be the year of our big southern comeback. I hope Edwards spends just enough time in the South to make Bush spend a lot of money there, but not a day longer. He’ll be most useful shuttling around depressed counties in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and West Virginia.

I said Saturday that this choice was the best chance we had for shooting ourselves in the foot. I’m happy to say that, as of today, all of our tarsal digits are still attached and functional. I’d do a happy dance, but I don’t want to scare the cats.

No comments: