Sunday, February 13, 2005

Re: Deep Throat, not the movie
John Dean tells us that Deep Throat might be ill and dying. Should Deep Throat die, Bob Woodward has promised to finally identify the legendary Watergate source. "Oh boy! I can't wait for him to die so we can finally find out his name," is a pretty tacky way to react to the impending death of a fellow human being. But not knowing who he is, I can't say for sure that I do or do not want to see him dead.

To be honest, I raised glass in cheer to the news of the last breath of quite few Watergate dramatis personae. Alan beat me to the punchline when the chief crook himself left this plane. "I was always told you should only speak good of the dead," he said. "Nixon is dead. GOOD!!" The historians raised their glasses and cheered; the area studies majors looked scandalized. Go figure.

I have a number of preferences about the identity of Deep Throat, though they are more based on my desire for a good plot twist than on my historian's instincts. Maybe we'll know soon which one is more dependable. Maybe we will be truly sorrowed by the loss of someone who saved the republic and refused the credit.

No comments: